Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 July 2016

Board board board

In a bid to unashamedly copy an idea from Orlygg and Jonas  I decided to create myself a little board to be used for presentation of my painted minis. I also nicked a good idea from Foundry and knocked this up in less than 30 minutes. Not the painstaking flocking life for me!







What You Need:
  • Cork Notice Board (You can pick these up for less than a tenner)
  • Hanging Basket Moss Effect Liner (I picked up some from Amazon, sold as a roll 200cm x 60cm although it turned up more like a blanket folded not rolled)
  • A Glue Gun
  • Scissors.




How to Do It:
  1. Cut a rectangle of the liner slightly larger than the notice board.
  2. Next put a line of glue along one of the long edges of the notice board about half an inch in from the frame.
  3. Now stick down one of the long edges of the liner to the same long edge of the board 
  4. Leave it aside for a couple of minutes for the glue to cool and set.
  5. Repeat for all four sides.
  6. Tuck the excess on the edges under the frame.
(NB: I would of taken step by step photos but a) It's so simple I don't think anyone copying this could get it wrong and, more importantly, b) I forgot)


Here's a close up of what the texture looks like


So, cheap as chips, very sturdy and dead easy to make, what more could a fella on a budget want?


Here's a sneak peak of my High Elf Archers for "The Battle for Maugthrond Pass" on it to show off what it looks like with minis on it.




It's a sneak peak as I'm one Archer short as a bow snapped and disappeared during painting. Luckily I found a spare and he's in the process of being painted at the moment to join his fellows. As soon as he's done I'll do a proper post about them.


I'm considering making at least one more but by cutting the liner and leaving a bare strip running down the middle which I'll sand/gravel to create a road. There's also no reason not to try the same trick to create a river too using a water effect solution or inked PVA.



Anyhow, I'd best crack on, I've got a mountain more Elves to paint!


Thanks for reading my drivel, any comments welcome as usual.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, nice idea for hanging basket liners, it looks far more natural and better then flock ever will....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I can't claim it as my own idea, it's poached from the Foundry but it's defo an idea I'm keen to experiment with more,

      Delete