Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 January 2015

Elven Progress

Work has been getting in the way of major progress on the 4th Edition High Elves but I've still managed to add a few extra bits, namely a Lord, a Mage, two Bolt Throwers and a small unit of Sword Masters.


 My Lord is the top half of a Pegasus rider on Silverhelm legs and horse.


My Mage is a little break from the 4th Edition minis, he's a 5th edition Mage. Sadly there was only 1 High Elf Mage released for 4th Edition and that was the Teclis mini and that particular sculpt doesn't suit a low level Character. There was a 3rd Edition Mage riding a Unicorn released just before 4th Edition came along but a Unicorn is a pricey thing for a small army clocking in at 90pts. I don't feel too bad about using this 5th Edition chap as I really love this mini, he was a Mage for me in many a game back in the day. Now he's been stripped and repainted.


Next up are the Bolt Thowers, two of them.


As minis themselves the Bolt Throwers I'm not too fussed about (although they're really useful in game terms and cheap as chips at 50pts too) but the crew are stunning figures, I've always loved these guys.


In the past I've often derided the 4th Edition Sword Masters, the legs don't fit the position of the robes but I'm really pleased I painted these guys up as I've now fallen in love with them. I started painting them because I wanted some elite foot troops and all of the Phoenix Guard and White Lions need to be stripped.


They have a lot of character that I don't think I'd of found if I hadn't taken the plunge and painted them up. There's a strange number of 13 painted up because I added the Standard Bearer later. I plan of taking the unit up to 16 but that can wait for now as, like the Unicorn, they're very pricey for a small army.


I've also given the Silverhelms' barding a white dry brush as I did the Bolt Throwers and the Unicorn (I promise to finish the Mage for an update soon so I can show this mythical beast) as the soft tone ink wash didn't look right on that mush white expanse.


With the General added in this unit looks really nifty.


I'm really please with how this army is shaping up. My feelings are to go for another Mage, Reaver Knights and some more basic infantry in the shape of a second unit each of Spearmen and Archers. I'm also really low on Characters which I'm not that fussed about but I do have both the Eltharion on Stormwing and the Prince Imrik dragon rider minis in need of a lick of paint, I may treat myself to one of these soon................................

12 comments:

  1. Building up rather nice Mr SnickSnick, rather quick work to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dude, Quick Shade Soft Tone ink does a lot of the work =)

      Delete
  2. Very speedy work indeed, and a great job at that. The 5th edition mage fits in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Bud, too kind. I love the 5th Edition Mages, defo gonna get his counterpart painted up soon.

      Delete
  3. Greeeeat stuff. I vote eltharion his storyline is too cool!
    That unit of knights looks just great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fella, Eltharion is my favourite too plus I want to get all of the troops for "The Battle for Maugthrond Pass" painted up this year too so I think he's a defo check point on the list.

      In my opinion those particular Silverhelms are some of the best versions of the Flower of High Elven cavalry GW have ever made!

      Delete
  4. A man with a plan! Love your dedication. Any chance you need some Phoenix Guards? I have a couple I could get rid of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I have a load of those to strip and use but thanks for the offer!

      I've been busy this week with a different army!

      Delete
  5. your army grows lovely with each addition, well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely balanced little force here, I totally agree with you about the Swordmasters sculpts - clunky but charming I'd say. I've mixed in some 5th edition sculpts including two that could serve as champions, and a Sword Master specific musician and standard bearer for a unit of 16. Planning to use the Standard of Shielding to overcome their lack of armour options to beef up that 6+ save in 4th Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, standard of shielding is only option here really. It's odd that that much armour only counts as light in 4th. I have a unit of 5th edition ones to be painted too as for a long time I owned but hated the originals. Now I love them.

      Delete