Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 June 2017

Little Pig Stabbers

The "I'm a Dad with no Time or I'm a Slow Painter" Challenge - Bron's Boar Spears














I've finally managed to get my Bood Imperial Dwarfs finished (bar the standard). As previously stated I really love these sculpts. Edouard has really done a wonderful job with these, they fit in alongside the Perry sculpts perfectly and they were a joy to paint.












I've included three Perry sculpts in this unit, the Champion, Standard Bearer and the Musician.



















This is no insult to Edouard, I'm actually saving the Musician and the Standard Bearer that came with the unit to use elsewhere as certain aspects work really well alongside other Perry sculpts. If anything I think that's the highest compliment I can pay Edouard, but more on that when the other aspects the
go with are done.




One of the reasons these guys have taken so long to finish was the shields. The shields these guys come with has a cross sculpted into them and that's not a motif as I was not planning to incorporate into my colour scheme.




In the end I opted for classic 80's shields but as there are no shield bosses on the Bood Dwarfs I had to find something to take their place. I tried all sorts (I even considered red lentils!).





One of the items I considered were little sticky gems from a craft department in a large national store. They were too big but on a subsequent scouting mission I stumbled upon these "googly eyes".










They came in a pack with three different sizes, I thought the small ones would be perfect, painted no one would know they were eyes..................................






Sadly there were still too big and then I had a brain wave, I sliced open one of they eyes and took out the pupil, which fit the hole perfectly.











Happy days!












Don't get me wrong, I know you can still see the where the boss should be but I think they work. I may put a second one on top to create a raised boss.


Here's some more pics bit like earlier ones.













Anyhow, it's getting late and I need my beauty sleep. Please feel free to leave a comment if you so desire.











13 comments:

  1. They look great! I love Imperial Dwarves, and that drummer was always one of my fav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bud, yeah, I'm really pleased with them, I've wanted a unit with a green and white heraldic style colour scheme since seeing Bretonnian Footmen in White Dwarf so am dead chuffed to kill two birds with one stone.

      Delete
    2. I remember that White Dwarf!

      Delete
    3. Best White Dwarf EVER for me, for obvious reasons!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks, let's hope the rest of the army turns out as good!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, as I know you're planning on attending BOYL this year come and check them out in the "metal" (I would say lead but we all know new minis aren't that).

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking unit. I remember talking to someone about my frustrations with making adequate shield bosses and they said they just used a blob of green stuff. Duh! I still haven't done it, but it makes sense to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to try that but worried out uniformity (my brain works that way sadly) but it's a via choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work. Being a lover of all things Dwarf these appealed to me but the painting is amazing.
    Is Bood Miniatures still in business?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thank you for your kind words, it's a wargaming standard in my eyes but I won't turn down the compliment.

    Yes, they're a current range of miniatures so you want some, go get them! ��

    ReplyDelete